[Rubygems-developers] Two feature requests

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Wed Sep 22 19:10:33 EDT 2004

On Thursday, September 23, 2004, 3:01:01 AM, Austin wrote:

> I'm having to do some funky stuff with the Rakefile for Ruwiki because
> "Readme" doesn't exist; I want to rename "Readme.tarfile" to "Readme".
> I can do this, however, during the packing stage. (Actually, it's a
> little better than that, because during the Rake packaging, I'm also
> providing :data =>> File.read("Readme.tarfile")).

Sounds to me the simplest thing to do would be include several README
files (README, README.tgz, README.gem, README.rpa) no matter what the
distribution.  That's kind of common practice in C-based projects
where you see READMEs covering different architectures, etc.

Most packages don't need to do this.  RuWiki is in the minority in
that it's sensitive to the way it's packaged.  Highlighting that
sensitivity is a good idea, IMO.  Besides, if I install as a gem, say,
I'd still like to read the other READMEs of other packages to see what
the difference is.

Another thing you can do with the .gem is mention the special case in
the summary/description, like "See README.gem for special
instructions".  The problem there is: there's no easy way for a user
to access that file.  (The easiest currently is via "unpack".)  That's
_the_ major feature missing from RubyGems IMO.