[Rubygems-developers] Two feature requests

Mauricio Fernández batsman.geo at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 22 12:42:24 EDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 12:02:47PM -0400, Austin Ziegler wrote:
> 2. In the latest Ruwiki version, I have two different Readme files --
> one for the tarfile and one for the Rubygem (and there will be a third
> one for RPA, but I'll leave it to the RPA team to make the
> modifications to the Rubygem one). When I'm packing the tarfile --
> using Archive::Tar::Minitar -- I read "Readme.tarfile" and save it in
> the tarfile as "Readme". I'm also changing the mode on the files
> (e.g., bin/ becomes 0755, directories are 0555, and everything else is
> 0644) and the mtime (to the release date, if ENV['RELEASE_DATE'] is
> provided; I'm using Rake for this). I'd like to do the same thing with
> the Rubygem -- but this isn't currently possible. I have to manually
> rename "Readme.rubygems" to "Readme", and I can't set specific modes
> or mtimes for the files.

Currently, such things are normally taken care of with Rake since RubyGems
has got no build phase. Regarding files modes and mtimes, maybe it would
be possible to backport the modifications you introduced in
Archive:Tar::Minitar, but the required changes in the gemspec might be
too cumbersome.

Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com