[Rubygems-developers] Two feature requests

Austin Ziegler halostatue at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 12:02:47 EDT 2004

One of these, Chad knows about. The other is sorta new.

1. With the Ruwiki gem, I am adding the ability to run the servlet
using the gem's stored data. That is, it will be <gem-path>/data.
Right now, the only way to get the gem's current path is the
Gem::Cache and a search (it was ugly, what Chad showed me). This is
painful. Please add a simpler/more robust way for me to do this :)

2. In the latest Ruwiki version, I have two different Readme files --
one for the tarfile and one for the Rubygem (and there will be a third
one for RPA, but I'll leave it to the RPA team to make the
modifications to the Rubygem one). When I'm packing the tarfile --
using Archive::Tar::Minitar -- I read "Readme.tarfile" and save it in
the tarfile as "Readme". I'm also changing the mode on the files
(e.g., bin/ becomes 0755, directories are 0555, and everything else is
0644) and the mtime (to the release date, if ENV['RELEASE_DATE'] is
provided; I'm using Rake for this). I'd like to do the same thing with
the Rubygem -- but this isn't currently possible. I have to manually
rename "Readme.rubygems" to "Readme", and I can't set specific modes
or mtimes for the files.

Austin Ziegler * halostatue at gmail.com
               * Alternate: austin at halostatue.ca
: as of this email, I have [ 6 ] Gmail invitations