[Rubygems-developers] Packaging gems that are not your own

Eivind Eklund eivind at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 21 06:36:37 EDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 12:15:21PM +1000, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> > I think .packager is a reasonable optional spec attribute, but I think
> > we should sleep on it for a day :)
>
> Definitely.  And while we're sleeping, consider which is better:
>
>   spec.packager = "Gavin Sinclair; gsinclair at ..."
>
> or
>
>   spec.packager = "Gavin Sinclair"
>   spec.packager_email = "gsinclair at ..."
>
> I prefer the former.  It's information only, so doesn't need to be
> exact.  Besides, the latter is ugly and verbose.

I prefer using a standard e-mail address.  That would be either with
standard RFC2822 name syntax:

    spec.packager = "Gavin Sinclair <gsinclair at ...>"

or with standard RFC2822 comment syntax:

    spec.packager = "gsinclair at ... (Gavin Sinclair)"

I think the former is better, but both are better than splitting
name/email or making up our own syntax.

Eivind.