[Rubygems-developers] Packaging gems that are not your own

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Mon Sep 20 21:05:40 EDT 2004

Hi folks,

I'm planning to craete a few gems of existing packages and submit them
(i.e. email them to Chad), for example the 'rdict' gem.  Now what if
someone installs it and has a problem with it?  They're going to look
at the spec and email the author, who might not appreciate the
suggestion that something "they" did (which they didn't) has stuffed
up.

Is there sense in a "packager" attribute?  As in:

  spec.author = "Ian Caliban"
  spec.email  = "caliban at ..."
  spec.packager = "Gavin Sinclair, gsinclair at ..."

It's a bit late for 0.8, obviously, and I'd like to create a number of
gems in the coming weeks.  But I'd like to know your thoughts on the
issue itself.

Cheers,
Gavin