[Rubygems-developers] Suggestions: categories and querying

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Thu Sep 16 00:38:52 EDT 2004

A long time ago, we had a spirited discussion about categorisation of
gems.  I'm now suggesting that for 0.9 we implement a simple category
feature, taken more or less directly from RPA.  Even just marking gems as
being a library or an application would be a start.  Using an existing
ontology of keywords would also be a good idea.

It's getting time to make more use of the 'query' command as well.  You
should be able to query the gem name, author, summary, description, all,
etc.  This is obviously the place where categories (or keywords) would fit
in.

Speaking of summary and description, there's confusion in the community
(OK, in my head) about how best to use these fields.  I'm tempted to
advise people to give a brief summary (they already do) and this:

  spec.description = File.read('README')

Some agreement on this would be good, leading to some documentation, and
ensuring that the implementation is good, regarding formatting, etc.

Cheers,
Gavin