[Rubygems-developers] Config clash

Mauricio Fernández batsman.geo at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 11:16:44 EDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 12:02:54AM +1000, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> As for getting your hands on the code, remember the beauty of 'gem
> unpack' :)
>
>   gem install dev-utils
>   gem unpack dev-utils

Then I'd have to wait for the gem :-) Btw, isn't it possible to unpack
without install?

There's a more fundamental issue however. A gem is already a package,
but some people absolutely want access to the original sources. In
practice, it often doesn't make any difference, but lately rake is
becoming increasingly popular, and many people use it as a sort of build
phase to reorganize the sources, etc...

Additionally, sometimes there are bugs in the packaging (gem) but not
in the pristine sources; there's no reason for those who don't use the
gem directly to be bitten by them.

> And you're welcome to the CVS, but some stuff will change between now
> and release.
>
> > If it's ready, please consider a .tar.gz release; looks like you'd only
> > have to copy Aoki's setup.rb into the sources. After all, RubyGems 0.8.0
> > is taking far longer than expected.
>
> It's not *really* ready.  It'll be a 0.0.1 release: useful, but young
> and prone to rapid change.

Then'd I'd consider packaging it as 0.0.0 ;-)

> I'll certainly do a tgz release, painful though that is :)

You can also release the pristine sources without any installer, just
for other repackagers/ppl who like installing by hand.

--
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com