[Rubygems-developers] Config clash

Mauricio Fernández batsman.geo at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 07:21:31 EDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 12:03:33AM -0400, Richard Kilmer wrote:

> >> mmm. I think that this is really a problem with acoc. It is still
> >> developed (last update 2004/04/05). acoc shouldn't be creating a class
> >> "Config", it should be doing something like:
> >>
> >> module Acoc
> >>   class Config < Hash; end
> >>   :
> >>   : # The rest of the Acoc module.
> >> end
> >>
> >> exit Acoc.run(...)
> >>
> >> This is the sort of thing that RPA will be good at handling.
>
> And now so is gems...

I think he meant by patching the original sources and submitting the
modifications to the author.

My first reaction was "definitely acoc's fault", but on second thought,
if it's meant to be stand-alone (and not built upon), it is not *that*
unreasonable to pollute the global namespace. Anyway with rpa-base this
sort of collisions will not happen (at least for some time) because no
RPA-specific code is required to run/load apps installed with rpa-base,
by default; i.o.w. you can do  rpa remove rpa-base  and the installed
ports will still work. You could approximate that with 'heavy stubs'
written carefully to avoid depending on RubyGems, but there's probably
little gain in that.

--
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com