[Rubygems-developers] Release 0.8.0? (Was: Rubygems update script updated on rubyforge)

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Thu Sep 9 21:22:26 EDT 2004

On Sep 9, 2004, at 9:11 PM, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

>> OK.  The fix is in.  I successfully installed every gem in the
>> repository (newest versions) via a script with no errors!
>>
>> Time to release? :)
>>
>> Chad
>
> I don't believe 'require' is properly implemented.
>
>   $ irb --simple-prompt
>>> require 'rubygems'
>   => true
>>> require 'rake', '< 0.5'
>   ArgumentError: wrong number of arguments (2 for 1)
>           from (irb):2:in `require'
>           from (irb):2

The mult-argument require hack hasn't been implemented (and probably
won't be).  Rich and I were chatting about it yesterday.  If you're
going to use a version requirement, it's not compatible with
non-rubygems' require, so you've blown the compatibility angle.  So,
you might as well use require_gem.  Agreed?

> Another problem, this one cosmetic.  I have a stupidly simple app to
> demonstrate, with the following files:
>
>   bin/foo.rb:
>      require 'bar'
>      require 'quux'  # will fail
>      puts "foo = #{foo}"
>
>   lib/bar.rb:
>      def foo; 5; end
>
> OK...
>
>   $ ruby -Ilib bin/foo.rb
>   bin/foo.rb:2:in `require': No such file to load -- quux (LoadError)
>           from bin/foo.rb:2
>
> So far so familiar.  If I insert "require 'rubygems'" at the top of
> bin/foo.rb, ...
>
>   /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in
> require__': No such file to load -- quux (LoadError)
>           from
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in
> `require'
>           from bin/foo.rb:3
>
> Would it be possible to clean up this error message?  The call stack is
> correct, but it's ugly compared to the non-RubyGems LoadError, which is
> what people expect.
>
> Gavin

Good catch.  I'll try to hit this tonight.

Chad