[Rubygems-developers] Release 0.8.0? (Was: Rubygems update script updated on rubyforge)

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Thu Sep 9 21:11:07 EDT 2004

> OK.  The fix is in.  I successfully installed every gem in the
> repository (newest versions) via a script with no errors!
>
> Time to release? :)
>
> Chad

I don't believe 'require' is properly implemented.

  $ irb --simple-prompt
  >> require 'rubygems'
  => true
  >> require 'rake', '< 0.5'
          from (irb):2:in `require'
          from (irb):2

Another problem, this one cosmetic.  I have a stupidly simple app to
demonstrate, with the following files:

  bin/foo.rb:
     require 'bar'
     require 'quux'  # will fail
     puts "foo = #{foo}"

  lib/bar.rb:
     def foo; 5; end

OK...

  $ ruby -Ilib bin/foo.rb
  bin/foo.rb:2:in `require': No such file to load -- quux (LoadError)
          from bin/foo.rb:2

So far so familiar.  If I insert "require 'rubygems'" at the top of
bin/foo.rb, ...

  /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in
require__': No such file to load -- quux (LoadError)
          from
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in
`require'
          from bin/foo.rb:3

Would it be possible to clean up this error message?  The call stack is
correct, but it's ugly compared to the non-RubyGems LoadError, which is
what people expect.

Gavin