[Rubygems-developers] Wiki Spam

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Thu Sep 9 07:00:34 EDT 2004

On Sep 8, 2004, at 11:50 PM, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

>> [......]
>> I suppose (C) could be added to Ruwiki if we still have a problem
>> after
>> we require authentication to edit.
> That's fine (and worthwhile -- why should you have to lock out
> anonymous
> users just to solve spam?), but what about solving spam for UseMod?
> RubyForge wikis and the RubyGarden wiki could do with that.
> I'm happy to do the work (i.e. implement that feature in UseMod) as
> long
> as someone important wants it.  The important people are Tom
> (RubyForge)
> and Chad (RubyGarden).  It's not going to benefit my own wikis :)

> The question is: do the administrators want to run a patched version of
> UseMod?  Especially one that's been patched by me... :/

I'm just seeing this thread.  Actually I'm running a patched version of
Usemod on RubyGarden.  It was patched by Andy Hunt and myself.  I had
to get my hands "dirty" with Perl.   It was traumatic. :)

The patch we put in for RubyGarden (and rubyforge?) allows you to block
certain IPs.  I'm planning to convert (with a script of course) from
Usemod to Ruwiki as soon as Ruwiki is ready, so I don't want to put too
much more effort into Usemod.