[Rubygems-developers] Wiki Spam

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Wed Sep 8 23:50:20 EDT 2004

> [......]
> I suppose (C) could be added to Ruwiki if we still have a problem after
> we require authentication to edit.

That's fine (and worthwhile -- why should you have to lock out anonymous
users just to solve spam?), but what about solving spam for UseMod?
RubyForge wikis and the RubyGarden wiki could do with that.

I'm happy to do the work (i.e. implement that feature in UseMod) as long
as someone important wants it.  The important people are Tom (RubyForge)
and Chad (RubyGarden).  It's not going to benefit my own wikis :)

The question is: do the administrators want to run a patched version of
UseMod?  Especially one that's been patched by me... :/

(The real question is: why has the several-thousand-strong open source
community had such a rabbit-in-the-headlights response to wiki spam?  The
same reason the ancient greeks didn't capitalise on all their inventions:
they had slaves to do the work.  Thanks Assaph! :)