[Rubygems-developers] Rubygems update script updated on rubyforge

Richard Kilmer rich at infoether.com
Wed Sep 8 17:19:13 EDT 2004

The script on RubyForge has been updated which deploys gems that are
released under projects and updates the yaml index (and yaml.Z compressed
index).  This new script works with the old and new formats, so we can
release 0.8.0 and if people post new format gems everything will work.

Also, this script updates the index when a gem is deployed, so it now runs
every five minutes looking for new gems. This will decrease the
release-to-download time to 5 minutes or less.  Additionally, the remote
index caching mechanism that I implemented seems to be working well, so
searches, etc respond a lot better then before.

Overall, it gives a much better experience to the user.

I also installed 0.7.0 to make sure that the index that is being generated
now (that works on the new as well as old formatted gems) creates an index
that works with that older version (and it does).  So...we are ready for
0.8.0 from that perspective.

What do we have left to do?