[Rubygems-developers] requiring gems

Jamis Buck jgb3 at email.byu.edu
Thu Sep 2 14:11:29 EDT 2004

Richard Kilmer wrote:
> On 9/2/04 1:08 PM, "Jamis Buck" <jgb3 at email.byu.edu> wrote:

> It actually now works across ANY file in ANY gem (in version sorted order).
> So, as a developer, you just put your files in the lib dir of your gem (or
> wherever) and then with the above mentioned RUBYOPT, you can just do:
>
> require 'net/ssh'
>
> And the new loadpath_manager searches all the gems for a file that matches
> and then require_gem's that gem, then does a regular require of net/ssh.
> This allows rubygems to be transparent.  Basically think of it as merging
> the lib paths of all the gems into one search space and finding based on
> your require (like ruby itself does now across the LOAD_PATH).

Excellent. I'm glad to hear it--I was pretty sure it would work, but
I've been putting together 3 new gems that will work with Copland (new
services, etc.) and I suddenly had a mild panic-attack when I realized
that the gem stubs were going away. :) I'm breathing easier now.

--
Jamis Buck
jgb3 at email.byu.edu
http://www.jamisbuck.org/jamis