[Rubygems-developers] requiring gems

Jamis Buck jgb3 at email.byu.edu
Thu Sep 2 13:08:07 EDT 2004

I've been lurking on the list alot, and recently there was a discussion
about removing the stub files that get installed for gems, in favor of
using the RUBYOPTS variable to cause rubygems to be autoinstalled.

This works fine for gems that are accessed at the "top level" (ie,
"require 'copland'", "require 'activerecord'", and so forth), but what
about gems that want to behave as if they are "add-ons" to an existing
directory? I'm thinking of the net-ssh gem, which wants to be required
as 'net/ssh'.

With the RUBYOPTS approach, would this still work? A quick test on my
box seems to fail, but I don't have the 'ubygems' require hack
installed... Would that fix it?

- Jamis

Jamis Buck
jgb3 at email.byu.edu