[Rubygems-developers] 0.8.1 fresh install error?

Patrick May patrick at hexane.org
Sun Oct 31 00:00:31 EDT 2004

Chad,

On Saturday, October 30, 2004, at 11:48  PM, Chad Fowler wrote:

> I haven't seen this one.  Please do try with CVS to see if it's fixed
> there.
>
> Are you on ruby 1.8.*?

I'm on 1.8.0.  CVS still has problems.  It looks like it's the same
error (see console output below).  The problem is coming with line 474
in specification.rb:

     result << "  s.#{name} = #{ruby_code(current_value)}\n" unless
current_value == default

I assume that the current version is nil, b/c this package hasn't been
installed before.  When nil is compared to a Dependency, we get the
explosion on line 123 of version.rb:

    def <=>(other)
       rnums, vnums = to_ints, other.to_ints  # <= kaboom, this is where
it blows up

Is it an error that a nil got passed to this method, and the problem is
higher up in the code?  Or is <=> the right place to handle unexpected
nihilism?

Cheers,

Patrick

-------------------
[laputa:~/programming/rubygems] patsplat% sudo ruby setup.rb install
Password:
Processing the package `sources' ...
rm -f InstalledFiles
---> lib
mkdir -p /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8
install sources.rb /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/
<--- lib

As of RubyGems 0.8.0, library stubs are no longer needed.
Searching $LOAD_PATH for stubs to optionally delete (may take a
while)...
...done.
No library stubs found.

   Successfully built RubyGem
   Name: sources
   Version: 0.0.1
   File: sources-0.0.1.gem
hook /Users/patsplat/programming/rubygems/./post-install.rb failed:
undefined method `to_ints' for nil:NilClass
Try 'ruby setup.rb --help' for detailed usage.