[Rubygems-developers] Adoption

Paul Duncan pabs at pablotron.org
Fri Oct 22 09:49:53 EDT 2004

* Patrick May (patrick at hexane.org) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wednesday, October 20, 2004, at 10:54  PM, Marcel Molina Jr. wrote:
>
> >Newcomer to the list here. A hello to everyone. Aside from being
> >interested in rubygems in general, I'd like to start seeing a lot of
> >existing libraries and applications turned into gems. I'm sort of
> >thinking
> >of it in terms of porting the RAA to Gems ;).
>
> raa-install took advantage of widespread use of some basic ruby idioms:
>

> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/narf-lib/raa-install/lib/
> raainstall/installer.rb?rev=1.9&view=markup
>
> to install most of the packages.  To auto-gemify the RAA, you could
> leverage the same standards.

I liked your idea about auto-gemifying RAA packages; that's one of the
reasons I wanted access to some form of RAA project metadata list (XML,
YAML, XML-RPC, SOAP, whatever).  But even raa-install is broken at the
moment; if you look at the source code, it's fetching the project list
from http://narf-lib.sf.net/raa/raa-xml-compacted.xml.gz, which is
(presumably) a mirror of the now non-existant RAA raa-xml.xml file, so
it hasn't updated since May 5th.

(Obviously this isn't directed at Patrick, who already knows how raa-install
works).

I want my RAA data already :(.  I think I'll bring it up on ruby-talk.

> Cheers,
>
> ~ patrick

Never trust a man with laminated business cards, that's what I say!

:D

--
Paul Duncan <pabs at pablotron.org>        OpenPGP Key ID: 0x82C29562
http://www.pablotron.org/               http://www.paulduncan.org/