[Rubygems-developers] Adoption

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Thu Oct 21 22:58:36 EDT 2004

On Friday, October 22, 2004, 12:47:48 PM, Paul wrote:

> * Gavin Sinclair (gsinclair at soyabean.com.au) wrote:
>> On Friday, October 22, 2004, 7:15:21 AM, Paul wrote:
>>
>> > Speaking of normalizing things, how about the filenames? Can you
>> > downcase! the project name when converting it to the gem file name?
>>
>> Shouldn't the file name be the same as the project name, to avoid
>> confusion when using require_gem?

> I believe the convention is to always have a lowercase path and library,
> regardless of the name of the actual library.

> So, SOAP4r becomes

>   require 'soqp4r'

> and Test::Unit becomes

>   require 'test/unit'

> I've been doing that for my bindings (Imlib2-Ruby => 'imlib2', etc).

I've been doing that too, but I don't see why we should allow a
difference between gem file name and require_gem argument, given that
we don't actually enforce this convention.

Stepping back a bit, the gem file name is unimportant.  It's what the
user sees in their gem list that matters, and what they have to load
in.

Gavin