[Rubygems-developers] Adoption

chad at chadfowler.com chad at chadfowler.com
Thu Oct 21 16:05:24 EDT 2004

> That said, if RubyGems normalized the directory structures, numbering
> schemes, etc of the upstream sources, it *could* become the input format
> of choice for repackagers...

This is actually what I had in mind.  Especially finding places where
people rely on, for example, __FILE__ hacks that make it hard for
everyone.  I'm optimistic that a focused effort with enough feedback to
the original developers could result in a behavioral shift in at least a
decent number of them.  My guess is that in most cases, developers that
release packages with this kind of problem do so because they didn't
really consider them to be a problem (as opposed to having done these
things intentionally).