[Rubygems-developers] I am trying to install rubygems on a system to which I do not have root privileges

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Wed Oct 13 22:45:30 EDT 2004

On 13-Oct-04, at 8:08 PM, Eric Merritt wrote:

> Guys,
>
>  I have a little problem. I am trying to install rubygems on a system
> to which I do not have root privileges. Ruby has been installed on the
> system by the admins in the usual place. The problem is that I do not
> know how to tell the rubygems installer to install to my home
> directory instead of site_ruby. Any help is appreciated.

Unfortunately, it's not possible with 0.8.1.  It's on the TODO list for
the next release.  If you can stand it for now, have a look at
install.rb.  It's small and simple (and soon to be replaced), so it
wouldn't be hard to change.

Also, you could just copy the contents of the "lib" directory to where
you would like it to be and do the same with the contents of "bin".
Then you could add -I /path/to/rubygems/libs to the interpreter path.

Ugly but it will be work (and really wouldn't be much of a pain for
now).  We'll fix it in the next release.

Thanks,
Chad