[Rubygems-developers] progressbar for remote installs

Henrik Horneber ryco at gmx.net
Sat Oct 9 07:20:22 EDT 2004

Austin Ziegler wrote:
> A couple of things: I'm not sure that this belongs as a core part of
> the code, but perhaps as a wrapper, because the progress bar used by
> the text form will not be that used by a GUI.

> On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 19:29:31 +0200, Henrik Horneber <ryco at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>>Just wondering, because it was pretty esay to implement after I found
>>the right section of code and the right file, why there was no progress
>>bar in the first place. Some license issues? UI Code too far down in the
>>application? Am I the only one who likes progressbars? :)

Yes, that's what I meant by 'UI code too far down in the application'. I
agree, to be included into the 'real' gem code, this needs to be done
right. That would entail a lot of more work, and since I am more or less
ignorant about gems internal workings and architecture, I am not in the
position to do that. The diff I sent was only intended to be a rough
hack, nothing more (oh, wrong, it was fun, too). Seperation of concerns
is something I completly ignored. :)

regards,
Henrik