[Rubygems-developers] progressbar for remote installs

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Fri Oct 8 21:51:21 EDT 2004

On Saturday, October 9, 2004, 1:24:34 AM, Jim wrote:

> chad at chadfowler.com said:
>>
>> Definitely!  Thank you very much!  I'll try to give this a look this
>> weekend and integrate it.

> Hmmm ... just remember that all user interaction (including output) needs
> to go through the UI modules.  Otherwise the GUIs will get messed up.  I
> haven't llook at progressbar so I don't know if that's going to be an
> issue, but thought I would just issue a "heads up".

That demonstrates what I consider a flaw in the way this is
engineered.  Although we've tried to separate the concerns, the
RubyGems *library* is still pretty much written as though it's a
CL application.

I ain't complaining, because it's hard to do these things properly.
Very hard.  And the screenshots of gem GUIs I've seen look very good,
so it can't be too bad :)

If we go with the progress bar, which I'd be keen to see, perhaps we
can introduce a special case in the code?  It's a smell, but...

Gavin