[Rubygems-developers] local, remote, and....

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Tue Oct 5 21:18:23 EDT 2004

On Wednesday, October 6, 2004, 1:15:10 AM, Hugh wrote:

> The only thing that we might want to add to this is:

> $ sudo gem install --user=hgs --system FXRuby

A worthy thought, but a slight hassle.  We don't even have the ability
to "reinstall" at the moment - i.e. use the gem that's sitting in the
system gems/1.8/cache directory for installation.

If such a feature is implemented, we'd want an interface that was
reasonably clear.  I don't like the overloading of --user in the above

> Don't hammer the net again, get the local copy from hgs and install
> as root from that.  s/=/ / if preferred, but = is more like GNU long

Ruby's 'optparse' library is [= ] agnostic, which is nice.