[Rubygems-developers] local, remote, and....

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Tue Oct 5 11:15:10 EDT 2004

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 5, 2004, 9:35:19 PM, Hugh wrote:
>>> Hi Hugh!
>>> Could you give us some specific usage examples?  I'm having trouble picturing
>>> what you mean, so a little more detail might help.
>>> I'm probably just being dense though :)
>> Well, this is a bit sketchy, because it would probably mean changing
>> the interface to disambiguate --local from --user, but something
>> like this:
>> gem install -r FXRuby -u
>>   <mumble>smething about installing FXRuby 1.2.2 in
>>   /home/hgs/rubygems/fxruby...</mumble>
>> Is that any help about what I mean, or not?
> I think this is a more sensible interface:
>  gem install --remote --user FXRuby                  # (2)
Yes, that's better having all the options up frot
         [others elided, but agree with those]

> Notes:
> 2. --remote is the *source* of the install; --user is the *target* of
>    it.
> 3. list --local lists *all* local gems, be they system or user.  User
>    gems are marked with [u].

> 4. list --user implies "not remote".

Yes, sensible
> 5. --system is the opposite of --user.  It also implies "not remote".

> So we have the following permutations:
         [rake examples]
those seem very clear.
> Other commands are not as interesting.  The common thread is this:
> --user and --system are just specific sources of gems.  If you don't
> select one, all sources of gems are considered for the operation.
> So, for example:
         [rdoc examples]
> I'm pretty keen on this.  What do others think?  What do you think of
> this interface, Hugh?

The only thing that we might want to add to this is:

$ sudo gem install --user=hgs --system FXRuby.

Don't hammer the net again, get the local copy from hgs and install
as root from that.  s/=/ / if preferred, but = is more like GNU long