[Rubygems-developers] local, remote, and....

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Tue Oct 5 07:35:19 EDT 2004

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Chad Fowler wrote:

> On 05-Oct-04, at 6:42 AM, Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng wrote:
>
>> I'd like to suggest that there be another category apart from local
>> and remote.  What I'm thinking of is this:
>> I'd like to suggest that there be user gems, with a path in the
>> users home directory.  This might be used for gems which are not
>> widely useful to people, gems which are being tried out, etc.
>>
>> I was going to suggest --personal, but -p is already taken, so I'd
>> suggest --user and -u.
>>
>> It would complicate path handling, increase the testing needed, but
>> apart from that, does it seem sensible, or should people tackle this
>> another way
>>
>>         Hugh
>>

> Hi Hugh!
>
> Could you give us some specific usage examples?  I'm having trouble picturing
> what you mean, so a little more detail might help.
> I'm probably just being dense though :)

Well, this is a bit sketchy, because it would probably mean changing
the interface to disambiguate --local from --user, but something
like this:

I have FXRuby installed.  I See 1.2.2 is out, but don't want to
disturb others' usage till I've tried it.

gem install -r FXRuby -u
  <mumble>smething about installing FXRuby 1.2.2 in
  /home/hgs/rubygems/fxruby...</mumble>

gem query -u FXRuby
    Well, you've got FXRuby-1.2.2 in your home gems directory

gem query -l FXRuby
    You've got FXRuby-1.2.1 in your system gems directory

gem -query -r FXRuby
    1.2.2 is the latest actually.

Is that any help about what I mean, or not?

> Thanks,
> Chad

         Hugh