[Rubygems-developers] local, remote, and....

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Tue Oct 5 06:42:23 EDT 2004

I'd like to suggest that there be another category apart from local
and remote.  What I'm thinking of is this:

Local gems are installed in the Ruby library area, only
acessible by root (in many cases)

Remote gems are off-site, and grabbed over the net.

I'd like to suggest that there be user gems, with a path in the
users home directory.  This might be used for gems which are not
widely useful to people, gems which are being tried out, etc.

I was going to suggest --personal, but -p is already taken, so I'd
suggest --user and -u.

It would complicate path handling, increase the testing needed, but
apart from that, does it seem sensible, or should people tackle this
another way