[Rubygems-developers] FYI: I'm looking at the remote installer

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Fri Nov 26 22:12:56 EST 2004

On Friday 26 November 2004 09:42 pm, Chad Fowler wrote:
> On 26-Nov-04, at 9:34 PM, Jim Weirich wrote:
> > Just so folks are aware ... I'm working in the remote installer area,
> > adding
> > tests, cleaning code, swabbing decks, etc.
>
> Cool.  I've been on the verge of the same.  Most importantly, I hoped
> to make the local/remote thing more seamless.  Specifically, I want to
> install dependencies remotely when doing an install of a local gem.  I
> hope that, or something that makes that easier, works its way in :)

I'm not working specifically for that, but one thing that I have done is pull
the remote access code /out/ of the remote installer into a "fetcher" object
(primarily to make improvements to fetching easier).  This may make the
remote installer much closer to the local installer.  Perhaps close enough so
that they may be merged.