[Rubygems-developers] Updating source index is slow

leon breedt bitserf at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 15:37:33 EST 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:11:42 +0000 (WET), Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng
<hgs at dmu.ac.uk> wrote:
> I really don't like this algorithm.  The program uses open-uri for
> most of its work, which is great for getting things going,
> proof-of-concept and so on, but for a scalable application I think
> we should aim to move to Net::HTTP and follow the protocol more
> closely. [1] Why?
Another reason for moving away from open-uri would be that the HTTP
implementation in open-uri uses an internal Buffer class, which uses
Tempfile or a StringIO.

This makes partial downloads using Range: for servers that support it
problematic without modifying open-uri.rb.

Leon