[Rubygems-developers] Updating source index is slow

Tom Clarke tom.clarke at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 14:39:46 EST 2004

I've been lurking here for a bit, and just let me say that ruby gems
is looking great and everything I wanted for the now defunct
RAAInstall (which I gave life to and subsequently killed).

The issue I encounted with raa install was that for an RAA sized
database (which gems isn't yet) it was very difficult to get the
information down to a reasonable size. I ended up producing a
drastically compressed format (in terms of what data I put in the
download file). The gems I've seen are comparatively verbose.

I would suggest that the end solution probably needs to be either of:
* A gentoo like system where each package has it's own file, and be
synced with rsync or a clone (this has the benefit of being easy to
mirror in an efficient manner)
* A client server system where package details are queried on demand.

Probably not necessary yet, but perhaps something to think about.

One question I had. Is anyone was working on making DBI into gems?