[Rubygems-developers] Updating source index is slow

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Wed Nov 10 14:28:23 EST 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Chad Fowler wrote:

> On 09-Nov-04, at 9:47 PM, Patrick May wrote:
>
>> I may be ignorant here -- I'm assuming the client is hitting
>> http://gems.rubyforge.org/yaml
>>

> You're right.  It grabs (and caches) all of the gem metadata.   Your idea for

While my brain is still fizzing with this stuff:

Is there a reason why the Yaml itself can't be a gem?  That would allow us
to use the versioning information gems already have for this, which
might help with all the Last-Modified weirdness you were getting.

If it were a gem, then could we make gem update 'patch' what we have,
rather than do a full install?   Maybe not immediately, but in the
future?

         Hugh