[Rubygems-developers] Updating source index is slow

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Wed Nov 10 11:39:34 EST 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Richard Kilmer wrote:

> I will look into downloading just the updated gemspecs and see if that can
> be used to speed things up.  It would obviously be a cgi...wanted to stay
> away from that...but CPU is cheeper than bandwidth right now!

While looking around at the compression issues for HTTP I found
RFC3229 "Delta encoding in HTTP" which might be of use, but looks
less than obvious to do correctly.  However, if we have good control
over the server to support this, through our contacts at RubyForge,
then that's more than half the battle, because RubyGems is the
client in this case and we have full control over what that does.

         Hugh