[Rubygems-developers] Updating source index is slow

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Wed Nov 10 10:32:12 EST 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Richard Kilmer wrote:

> On 11/10/04 9:15 AM, "Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng" <hgs at dmu.ac.uk> wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Richard Kilmer wrote:
>>> yaml.Z is a compressed file...that is the one downloaded by default (not the
>>> source 'yaml' file).
>> gzip generally "beats" compress though, and I'm fairly sure that
>> would be true for YAML data...  The HTTP 1.1 spec seems
>> to have no support for bzip2, unfortunately.
> It uses zlib.

and its inflate method, which refers to compressed files, without
specifying gzip, and it doesn't use GZipReader, suggesting it isn't
gzip.  There is abiguity here, though: "compressed" in the zlib docs
could mean any data compression scheme and it could mean Unix
compress.  Inflate/deflate is a compression type reported by PKZIP
(I think) and InfoZIP,  Extensions of .Z mean unix compress, ZIP and
Gzip use .ZIP and .gz, respectively.

Are you telling me that it is definitely using GZIP now? If so, why
isn't the file yaml.gz rather than yaml.Z?