[Rubygems-developers] Updating source index is slow

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Wed Nov 10 07:39:17 EST 2004

On 09-Nov-04, at 9:47 PM, Patrick May wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 9, 2004, at 02:04  AM, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
>> Updating the source index from the rubyforge server is slow.  This
>> could be sped up if there were a pure-Ruby rsync implementation
>> available (for client and server).  Discuss.
> Does the rubygems client need the entire source index?  It seems to me
> that one would be more likely to ask for a list of packages, then
> drill individually into the metadata for particular pages.
> I may be ignorant here -- I'm assuming the client is hitting
> http://gems.rubyforge.org/yaml

You're right.  It grabs (and caches) all of the gem metadata.   Your
idea for a solution might be the most pragmatic (as opposed to
implementing rsync in ruby ;).

How big an issue does it seem to be?  For me, the gem repository
doesn't update (and therefore I don't have to redownload the yaml)
enough to be a serious drag, but I can see how as more gems are
released it will get more annoying on the client.