[Rubygems-developers] 0.4.0 bugfix release

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Mon May 31 11:57:52 EDT 2004

Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 1, 2004, 12:31:15 AM, Jim wrote:
>>I think we still need the ability to add RDoc files (and possibly
>>options) to the gem spec.  Without this, the rake documentation
>>generated by the automatic rdoc generation option will be incomplete.  I
>>don't think this has been added yet.
>
> Agreed.  Can you give an example of how you would like the rake
> gemspec to look?

This would be great.  The new options are listed below in the commented
  BEGIN/END section...

   spec = Gem::Specification.new do |s|
     s.name = 'rake'
     s.version = PKG_VERSION
     s.summary = "Ruby based make-like utility."
     s.description = <<-EOF
       Rake is a Make-like program implemented in Ruby. Tasks
       and dependencies are specified in standard Ruby syntax.
     EOF
     s.files = PKG_FILES.to_a
     s.require_path = 'lib'
     s.autorequire = 'rake'
     s.bindir = "bin"
     s.executables = ["rake"]
     s.default_executable = "rake"

     s.has_rdoc = true
     # BEGIN NEW GEM SPEC OPTIONS ...
     s.rdoc_options << '--title "Rake -- Ruby Make"'
     s.rdoc_options << '--line-numbers' << '--inline-source'
     s.rdoc_files.include('README', 'MIT-LICENSE', 'TODO', 'CHANGES')
     s.rdoc_files.include('lib/**/*.rb', 'doc/**/*.rdoc')
     s.rdoc_files.exclude(/\bcontrib\b/)
     # END NEW GEM SPEC OPTIONS

     s.author = "Jim Weirich"
     s.email = "jim at weirichhouse.org"
     s.homepage = "http://http://onestepback.org"
     s.rubyforge_project = "rake"
   end

The above kinda assumes that a rakes-style FileList object is used for
the rdoc_files attribute.  If we don't implement that, I would build the
file list in Rake (e.g. RDOC_FILES) and then just say:

    s.rdoc_files = RDOC_FILES.to_a

in the Gem spec.

If rdoc_files is not explicitly specified, it should default to whatever
is included today (i.e. something like 'lib/**/*.rb').