[Rubygems-developers] 0.4.0 bugfix release

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Mon May 31 08:53:16 EDT 2004

On 30/5/2004, at 6:06 PM, Jamis Buck wrote:

> Chad Fowler wrote:
>> FYI, Since we haven't seen a ton of activity recently on new
>> features, I'm going to release 0.4.0 quietly this evening just to get
>> the newest, least-buggy code out for people to test/comment on.
>
> Excellent!
>
> What remains to be done for a 1.0 release? Is there a "to do" list
> somewhere? I haven't contributed much yet to rubygems and I may have
> some time in the near future that I could use for that.

That would be great.  There is an incomplete TODO list here
http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/cgi/viewcvs.cgi/rubygems/TODO?
rev=1.12&cvsroot=rubygems&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

I think the following list would be nice:

* syncing gem repositories
* finish removing STDIN/STDOUT dependencies in the lib
* some kind of versioning change (mauricio, eivind, or jim's idea(s))
should go into 0.5 for feedback/testing
* optional dependencies: "semitar can use REXML, but it works better if
you have the ruby raptor library installed",  or not so optional as in:
"you need Ruby/RSS > = 1.0 OR rss > 0.91 for this library to work"
* ri data generation
* support for installing binary (pre-compiled), platform-dependent
gems.  This already works as long as you pick the right gem manaully,
but I'd like the remote installer to intelligently select the right one
and for the installer to throw an error (or a warning) if you attempt o
install (e.g.) a Windows gem on a linux system.
* Allowing a gem to specify a required ruby version
* Integration with platform-native packaging systems

Anything else I'm obviously missing?  I've just awoken from a
benadryl-induced early morning nap, and might not be coherent :)

Chad