[Rubygems-developers] What plans now?

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Mon May 17 07:02:41 EDT 2004

Gavin Sinclair wrote:
>>>Also, the time might be right for an enhancement to the gemspec along
>>>these lines:
>>>
>>>  spec.add_files do |fs|
>>>    fs.bin << FileList['bin/*.rb']
>>>    fs.lib << FileList['lib/**/*.rb']
>>>    fs.doc << FileList['README', 'TODO', 'ChangeLog']
>>>  end

I would suggest either

     fs.bin = FileList['bin/*.rb']

or

     fs.bin.include('bin/*.rb')

The first assigns a new file list to the bin attribute.  The second
appends the files matching "bin/*.rb" to an existing file list.  The
original suggestion appends a file list to an existing list, which is
probably not what is wanted.

>>Makes sense.  It would be nice to be able to pass it an array of
>>strings *or* a FileList.

A FileList inherits from Array, so in a sense, it *is* an array of strings.

> I suppose the only way a person can use a FileList in a gem is to
> require 'rake', right?

Currently that's true.  If RubyGems wants to move that direction, we can
accommodate that somehow, I'm sure.