[Rubygems-developers] What plans now?

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Sun May 16 21:56:09 EDT 2004

>> >    remote.each { |gem| remote_gems.add(gem) }
>> >    local.each  { |gem| local_gems.add(gem) }
>> >
>> >    a_gem = remote_gems[some_gem_name]
>> What are local_gems and remote_gems here?
> Just some kind of (unspecified) collection.
> Also, I like your thought or presenting a unified, global repository.

Yes.  It needs to strike a balance between a convenient interface, correct
output, and performance.  For example, it's no good rushing off to update
its cache with 10 remote sources if the user is only asking for help, or
to install a local gem.

As long as it knows as much as it can know at any time, and grabs
resources only when needed, it should be fine.

Then, implementing things like "show me all packages that could be
updated" become pretty easy.

Gavin  # who promises to stop selling ideas now - or at least soon :)