[Rubygems-developers] What plans now?

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Sun May 16 07:25:18 EDT 2004

Hi folks,

What plans do we have for RubyGems now?  There seem to have been a few
fixes since 0.3.0.  Time for a 0.3.1 release?

What about beyond that?  I'd like to bring about some unification in
the code base.  At the moment, gem objects don't have primacy.  The
code is more about processes than about data.  I'd like to see some
sort of class hierachy that gives you access to all sorts of gems:
local and remote, installed and uninstalled.  From that point of view,
we should have the basis for a very powerful system.  Part and parcel
of this would be caching information about what gems are available
remotely, making remote lists and searches faster.

Also, the time might be right for an enhancement to the gemspec along
these lines:

  spec.add_files do |fs|
    fs.bin << FileList['bin/*.rb']
    fs.lib << FileList['lib/**/*.rb']
    fs.doc << FileList['README', 'TODO', 'ChangeLog']

I'm using the Rake concept of FileList for two reasons:
 * it's easy
 * it automatically excludes CVS directories and backups
   - that's probably a good thing for RubyGems users, right?

However, the real benefits of this are:
 * knowing which files are documentation means we can enhance the gem
   browser to see *all* documentation files, not just the generated
   RDoc ones
 * it's perhaps more natural than the current 'require_paths' and
   'bindir' specifications?

I've brought this concept up before (long ago) and been told to go
ahead.  I did so, but it took me ages and I ended up throwing it away
rather than try to integrate it.  What do you guys think about it now?