[Rubygems-developers] What ever happened to the RubyGems Browser?

Curt Hibbs curt at curthibbs.us
Mon May 10 00:33:25 EDT 2004

Perhaps you've been wondering what happened to that GUI RubyGems Browser
that I said I was going to develop? Its still alive -- just delayed. Getting
all of the kinks worked out of the Ruby Installer for Windows took more time
that I thought it would.

I have a very modest prototype started, but all it currently does is display
the currently installed gems (not particularly impressive).

As many of you may know (from other Ruby-related mailing lists), this week
starts a series of summer event for my family and my job that is going to
seriously limit my free time (down to nearly zero) for the next couple
months. So my work on the RubyGems Browser will, necessarily, be delayed.
However, I want you to know that developing the RubyGems Browser is central
to some of my future plans.

In particular, I want to integrate RubyGems and the RubyGems Browser into
the next release of the Ruby Installer for Windows. Instead of pre-building
an increasing list of Ruby extensions into this binary release for Windows,
I want to pop-up the RubyGems Browser and let the user choose the packages
that he wants. I also want to build in an update facility that notifies the
user when new versions are available (and offers to install them).

Anyway, I just wanted to keep you posted.

Curt