[Rubygems-developers] Hey guys...

Ryan Leavengood mrcode1234 at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 21:23:28 EDT 2004

--- Gavin Sinclair <gsinclair at soyabean.com.au> wrote:

> Ruby is an enabling technology, but two years ago many of the
> practical aspects of the gems idea would have been a lot of work.
> Now, Ruby does so much heavy lifting (YAML, Zlib, WEBrick, ...) that
> the project becomes so much easier.

This is most definitely the case.  After looking a bit over the current
RubyGems source I see a lot of use of these other libraries, and though I'm
still figuring everything out, I do recall how much things I would have had to
personally implement two years ago.

So I guess I'll just say that oh well, the past is the past, the "old" RubyGems
was a good learning experience for me and the Ruby community, and that now that
we have the infrastructure that we do, RubyGems can become what I originally
wanted it to be: the best and easiest to use scripting language package
management system available.

So, onward we go, and rest assured you have my backing on this new and improved
RubyGems, which after two years may not mean much, but it can't be all that
bad, right?  :D

Ryan