[Rubygems-developers] Try this gem, please

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Wed Mar 31 22:07:27 EST 2004

On 31/3/2004, at 3:14 PM, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

>> All,
>>
>>    I've used Rich's source build code to create a gem for ripper.  It
>> works on our Macs.  Can some of you give it a try and see if it works
>> for you?  I've got it up at
>> http://www.chadfowler.com/ripper-0.1.0.gem.
>>   You'll have to manually download it and install it, of course.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Chad
>
> It works!  (ruby 1.8.1 (2003-12-25) [i386-cygwin])

Thanks, Gavin!  Any FreeBSD or Linux users out there?

> Below is the output when I run it, just to draw attention to some
> things:
>  - Local installation worked, but it attempted (and failed)
>    remote installation anyway

weird.  It didn't do that for me.  We'll have to check into that.

>  - The error produced by remote installation's failure is quite
>    unfriendly

Error messages definitely need to be on the short TODO list.  In my
unit testing, I've been trying to clean up error handling.  Hopefully
this will make things easier at the error message level.

> Also, running 'gem -i ripper' with your gem in the current directory
> does
> not find and install the file that's right in front of it.

Yea, that's a known issue.  I mean, there's no reason it *would* find
it at this point, but intuitively everyone wants it to ;)

> I'll try to sort these issues out.

Great!

> By the way: gem files are self-installable.  Is that a good idea, now
> that
> 'gem --install' does a good job and offers more options?  I'd like
> gems to
> be more data than program.

I don't think it hurts to continue allowing the gem to be
self-installable.  If you need more options, you can use the gem
command.  What do others think?

Chad