[Rubygems-developers] Version number format

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Mon Mar 29 19:20:16 EST 2004

On 29/3/2004, at 7:03 PM, David A. Black wrote:

> Hi --
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Jamis Buck wrote:
>> I would like to have "snapshot" gems, that represent the current state
>> of CVS.  Is there a way to specify this with the version number? I've
>> tried 0.3.0-SNAPSHOT (a la "maven") and that didn't work, and I tried
>> "0.3.0cvs" (a la portage) and that didn't work.
>> Is there a way to do this currently?  If not, does anyone else think
>> this might be worth having?
> I guess I tend to think of gems as releases (with 'gem' suggesting a
> certain polish :-) and therefore versionable with numbers alone.  But
> there may be scenarios I'm not considering.

David and I were just talking about this on AIM.  I think we both
understand a scenario in which this would be useful.  David's proposed
solution (which I think is the most simple and elegant) is to use a
different gem name for the snapshots.  You could do, for example,
captcha-snapshot and have a bleeding edge versioning scheme that you
update.  This way, the following would always get you the latest

gem --remote --install captcha-snapshot

The downside is you have to require_gem("captcha-snapshot"), but given
the way gems works, you would most likely only be doing this in one
place, so it wouldn't be a big deal to change when you get to general
release for libs that require the snapshot.

What do you think?