[Rubygems-developers] RubyGems Alpha II?

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Tue Mar 30 16:12:52 EST 2004

> I'm in favor of following Gavin's suggestion of freezing features and
> focusing on cleaning and documentation.  Part of this would/could
> obviously be getting our testing act together.  Once we've got a solid
> suite of tests, it will be easier for us to keep it current...the ole
> "Broken Windows" effect in play.

True, true.  I've never really been brave enough to consider adding tests
for stuff I've contributed.  (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :)

Some code refactoring could probably improve test coverage as well, or at
least make it easier to test some things in isolation.  No specific ideas

And the thoughts posted about functional testing are a great idea too.

It Would Be Nice if someone volunteered to become "test manager" for this
project, with the responsilibity to understand and give advice on the
quality of the automated testing.  It's the sort of thing that is hard for
*everybody* to do well when they're just trying to contribute in their
spare time.  Note: the responsibility for creating unit tests is still
distributed amongst developers.  The test manager just makes sure the test
suite grows in a good and consistent direction.

> I'm not convinced that we should wait as long as 3 or 4 weeks for Alpha
> II.  I think with a project like this we need to tighten the feedback
> loop  with the community as much as possible.  We really need to take
> the "release early--release often" mantra to heart if we want to get the
>  mindshare that it will take for this to become *the* way to package
> ruby libraries.  We all know Ruby needs that.

Agreed on all counts.  I propose, then:
 - next alpha release (0.3.0) as soon as possible
   - focus on "just make it work for user"
 - then feature-freeze for a while we improve code
   and testing
   -> another release boasting increased quality (0.4.0)

Not that I love bureaucracy (far from it) but it sounds like we need a
release manager as well :)

Gavin (de facto documentation manager)