[Rubygems-developers] Version number format

Jamis Buck jgb3 at email.byu.edu
Tue Mar 30 08:06:22 EST 2004

Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> It might be worth having.  I can see how it provides some convenience.
> But it doesn't seem all that necessary.  The discussion in this thread
> has been interesting, but there have been no solutions raised that I
> thought were really good.  Even if you use metadata to mark a snapshot
> (a good idea) there's still the problem of distribution, which would
> overwork our faithful manual server maintainers.

I definately don't think the "snapshot" gem packages belong in the main
repository. I was thinking of just hosting mine on my website, so that
curious users could grab the file and then do a local gem install. IMO,
the gem repository at gems.rubyforge.org should be for "real" releases.

Not sure how that would be enforced, especially if an automated process
of submitting gems is devised, although the "stable"/"experimental"
metadata could help somewhat.

--
Jamis Buck
jgb3 at email.byu.edu
http://www.jamisbuck.org/jamis

ruby -h | ruby -e
'a=[];readlines.join.scan(/-(.)\[e|Kk(\S*)|le.l(..)e|#!(\S*)/) {|r| a <<
r.compact.first };puts "\n>#{a.join(%q/ /)}<\n\n"'