[Rubygems-developers] Version number format

Jamis Buck jgb3 at email.byu.edu
Tue Mar 30 08:03:44 EST 2004

David A. Black wrote:

> All of this takes us, I think, into the realm of what people should do
> with gems functionality, rather than what gems functionality should
> be.  And I think that's good, but I also think it means it's not our
> domain.  I'd rather see gems be neutral as to things like how people
> choose to number things (odd, even, etc.) and let users and usage be
> flexible at that level.

A very good point.  And I think it is almost there right now. Jim's
suggestion (regarding appending the date/time to the version) works fine
for me. However, being able to add some metadata to specify whether a
gem is "experimental" or "stable" would go a long way towards supporting
various other versioning schemes (including the "-snapshot" approach).
It would require a few more options to gem to be able to restrict
operations to either "stable" or "experimental" packages, and I guess I
don't know how much work that would entail...

--
Jamis Buck
jgb3 at email.byu.edu
http://www.jamisbuck.org/jamis

ruby -h | ruby -e
'a=[];readlines.join.scan(/-(.)\[e|Kk(\S*)|le.l(..)e|#!(\S*)/) {|r| a <<
r.compact.first };puts "\n>#{a.join(%q/ /)}<\n\n"'