[Rubygems-developers] Version number format

David A. Black dblack at wobblini.net
Tue Mar 30 06:51:28 EST 2004

Hi --

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

> It seems to me that if you want to "release" a snapshot gem, you
> should put some effort into proper versioning, and release an actual
> version, not a snapshot.  So you release version 0.3.0 as "stable",
> and release "0.3.7" or something as an "experimental" release, because
> it has significant enough features you want to get out there, but
> without giving people the idea that you've thoroughly tested it.
>
> Both of these approaches enable you to keep using
>
>   require_gem 'package'
>
> instead of
>
>   require_gem 'package-snapshot'
>
> Furthermore, both approaches would benefit from a piece of metadata
> that distinguishes between 'stable' and 'experimental'.  So I think
> that is a good idea.

All of this takes us, I think, into the realm of what people should do
with gems functionality, rather than what gems functionality should
be.  And I think that's good, but I also think it means it's not our
domain.  I'd rather see gems be neutral as to things like how people
choose to number things (odd, even, etc.) and let users and usage be
flexible at that level.

David

--
David A. Black