[Rubygems-developers] Initial capability to build native (source) gems

Mauricio Fernández batsman.geo at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 30 16:06:02 EST 2004

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 02:31:58AM -0500, Richard Kilmer wrote:
> All,
>
> I have added the ability to build native extension gems from source.
> This will not (yet) work on win32 using nmake (tomorrow).
>
> To use this...
>
> example gemspec:
>
> require 'rubygems'
>
> spec = Gem::Specification.new do |s|
[...]
>   s.extensions << 'ext/raptor/extconf.rb'

Does this mean that the preferred means of distribution is no longer
the gem (since it is platform dependent) but the upstream sources +
the gemspec (at least for things that require compilation)?

--
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

Software is like sex; it's better when it's free.
	-- Linus Torvalds