[Rubygems-developers] Version number format

Jamis Buck jgb3 at email.byu.edu
Mon Mar 29 22:07:15 EST 2004

Chad Fowler wrote:

> I'm still liking the captcha-snapshot idea better, but the lovely thing
> here is that we don't *have* to specify a policy on this.  RubyGems will
> support several options, and it could be managed on a library-by-library
> basis.

I would like the -snapshot option best, too, but only if I didn't have
to require the game with the -snapshot suffix explicitly.  What if
rubygems were to recognize the -snapshot suffix? You would "require_gem"
as usual, but rubygems would know to look for matching -snapshot
directories first.

The drawback here is you can't have multiple snapshots of the same gem
installed simultaneously... though, that's not such a big deal.  I can't
think of any reason why you would want multiple snapshots installed at
the same time, except to compare functionality.

Another option: what if there were a "snapshot" property of the gem that
could be set in the gemspec? Any gem with that property would be ignored
when considering an upgrade, unless a specific option were set on the
command-line saying that you wanted to upgrade a snapshot... too
complicated? Something like this could work with a variety of different
snapshot scenarious.

Jamis Buck
jgb3 at email.byu.edu

ruby -h | ruby -e
'a=[];readlines.join.scan(/-(.)\[e|Kk(\S*)|le.l(..)e|#!(\S*)/) {|r| a <<
r.compact.first };puts "\n>#{a.join(%q/ /)}<\n\n"'