[Rubygems-developers] Network traffic conservation strategies

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Sun Mar 28 18:16:17 EST 2004

On Sunday, March 28, 2004, 6:04:29 PM, Gavin wrote:

> Looking forward to comments.

I'll just make a quick followup comment on the size of data involved.

The current cache on the rubyforge server contains 19 gemspec and the
resulting YAML file is 47717 bytes.  That's an average of 2.5K per gem

If we (conservatively) assume there are 200 reasonable Ruby projects
in existence at the moment, then we're looking at a cache on the order
of 500K.

I think it's probably worth a bit of protocol overhead to
significantly reduce the average payload size :)