[Rubygems-developers] Rich: How's the refactoring going?

Richard Kilmer rich at infoether.com
Sun Mar 28 00:31:03 EST 2004

On Mar 27, 2004, at 11:32 PM, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> You mentioned you were going to clean some things up in the RubyGems
> code base.  What sort of scope did you have in mind?  There's
> something I'd like to work on that would mean moving outside my 'gem'
> comfort zone, and the first thing I would do is try to spruik up and
> rationalise the code wherever I can.

Is it irrational ;-)

> BTW the thing I had in mind was local caching of remote specification
> lists (which are called Gem::Cache, which I don't understand).  This
> would speed up remote listing and searching a great deal, and would
> become especially important as the number of remote gems and the
> number of users grow.
>
> It would require some thought about synchronising the remote and local
> versions.

Well, we can keep the date of the retrieved yaml file from the source
(gems.rubyforge.org) and then perform a HEAD instead of a GET on that
file, using what we have it its up to date.  That would save the
download.

I will apply your patch on bin/gem.  Tomorrow after 5pm I am going to
begin work on enabling source compilation, and move the directory
structures around per your earlier request.  I think that source
compilation is critical, even in some limited form.